She's All Grown Up

5:36 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
For those of you still sticking around for the not-funny, I am insanely sick. Still. Anyone who is healthy can go catch venereal disease. That would make me feel much better. Shared misery is always better.

My friend J, a woman who was almost always insanely drunk every moment of every day last year (except for when she went to Betty Ford - that thirty day stint ended when she ordered a drink on the plane home), and who started treatment on December 19th of 2007 at Tallgrass, and became one of the first women I sponsored in recovery, got her GED diploma last night. She's 36, married and has three wonderful little girls. And she humbled herself enough to walk across that stage with a bunch of 18 year old high school drop outs. And I was so incredibly proud of her, I cried. She has since started college and will become a hospice nurse. Because that's the kind of gal she is. Tough with a heart of gold. And I love her. And if I'm dying of Alzheimers, I want her to take care of me.

There really is no limit to what we can do. I tell myself that every day. But sometimes it takes days like yesterday to remind me that it's truth.

3 comments:

Dingo said...

Put on some of your mom's wonderful socks, have a cup of tea, watch a chick flick, and give yourself a hug from me. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks for sharing Joan's story. It made me so happy.

Nilsa said...

Your life is truly inspirational. What an amazing story!

BrianAlt said...

I'm not healthy. I have a code in my dose.

There is no limit to what YOU can do. And don't you forget it!