She's All Grown Up

5:36 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
For those of you still sticking around for the not-funny, I am insanely sick. Still. Anyone who is healthy can go catch venereal disease. That would make me feel much better. Shared misery is always better.

My friend J, a woman who was almost always insanely drunk every moment of every day last year (except for when she went to Betty Ford - that thirty day stint ended when she ordered a drink on the plane home), and who started treatment on December 19th of 2007 at Tallgrass, and became one of the first women I sponsored in recovery, got her GED diploma last night. She's 36, married and has three wonderful little girls. And she humbled herself enough to walk across that stage with a bunch of 18 year old high school drop outs. And I was so incredibly proud of her, I cried. She has since started college and will become a hospice nurse. Because that's the kind of gal she is. Tough with a heart of gold. And I love her. And if I'm dying of Alzheimers, I want her to take care of me.

There really is no limit to what we can do. I tell myself that every day. But sometimes it takes days like yesterday to remind me that it's truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put on some of your mom's wonderful socks, have a cup of tea, watch a chick flick, and give yourself a hug from me. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks for sharing Joan's story. It made me so happy.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Your life is truly inspirational. What an amazing story!

BrianAlt said...

I'm not healthy. I have a code in my dose.

There is no limit to what YOU can do. And don't you forget it!