The Devil Angel and a Bunch Of Lights

9:37 PM Edit This 13 Comments »
I think I'm finally getting the Christmas Spirit back in my heart after four years. And I say, "It's about time!" I used to love, love, love the Christmas season. Working for the church, the Wednesday Advent services were my favorite. Some group would make soup and serve bread and cheese along with hot coffee and cozy fellowship in the great hall for families and people whose church WAS their family. Then we'd enter the darkened sanctuary for worship. One candle, then two, then three, and then? Christmas was here! Oh, how I loved those quiet nights. The music, the chanting (Seriously. Old school Lutherans know how to throw a decent meditative service.) the lowering of the lights when it was so dark outside the candles seemed warm. I miss it. I don't know that I'll ever attend church regularly again, but I like remembering it. And someday I may try it and see how it feels. But tonight, I'm just happy to reminisce about it.

The snow has come. The lovely, lovely snow. It flurried all day and then tonight, the wind picked up. It's glorious. Gay Boyfriend says the only reason I like the snow is because I don't have to shovel. And I don't. That's why I RENT. Duh. But I made hot chocolate, which is what I do when he asks me to "help." I will never help, but I'll make sure it's warm and toasty and yummy when he comes back inside! That's how wonderful and kind I am.

Christmas has come to my house. In a very small, but significant way.This is my tree. Grammie has made all of us a pinecone tree from the pinecones that she collects in her backyard from trees that she and my Grandpa planted from seedlings after the war. We all have one. I don't have room for a real tree, so this one holds court in the living room. I haven't decorated it yet with the minature ornaments that my sister tatted for each of us, but I will some night when Christmas seems dark and far away. For now, I love the lights.

And this? This is the Devil Angel. It is the only Christmas figurine I "inherited" from my mother thus far. It was always my favorite because it seemed so incongruous. A bright red angel? She's evil. I used to hide her under my bed or in the freezer at night - hoping she wouldn't come to life and destroy me in my sleep. I know. I needed therapy when I was a young child, but I didn't get it. The freezer was just fine. But it's also the only thing I asked for when my mother started giving things away. Because I REMEMBER her. From years past. And forever, I will remember that the Devil Angel embodies my Christmas memories. She's mine now. And I embrace her. Uncanny, no?

13 comments:

Jules said...

Happy snow day! We've gotten about 7 inches so far and it's still supposed to snow all night. Of course I won't get any sleep, not because I'm excited but because I'll be too afraid that that creepy little devil angel will come get me...thanks for that ;-)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I actually love shoveling. I don't know why. There's something therapeutic about it. It's lonesome (as only Gay Boyfriend knows). It's hard manual labor. And there's this unspoken community among neighbors also out shoveling their walkways. I know you're thinking I probably need therapy, too. hahaha.

I love your Christmas tree and your Devil Angel. It's what makes Christmas uniquely yours.

BrianAlt said...

I have no Christmas spirit.

I never have.

I am a Jew.

That is all.

carrster said...

ooh I like your pinecone tree. Christmas lights always help make the dark seem a little less so...

:)

Jen said...

Love that your Christmas tree and ornaments all have a family story. My parents still have all the ornaments at their place and we reminisce when we go there and help set the decorations up.
Shoveling? Never done it and don't think I'm looking forward to ever doing it either ;)

rachaelgking said...

That's it. I am getting my Christmas tree TODAY, no matter what!!!

buffalodick said...

Reminds me of our "Devil's Mistress" tree topper!

melissalion said...

I wish I was Jewish like BrianAlt. I am not. Because I'm not Jewish, when I shrug my shoulder at the thought of Christmas, I look like a jerk.

justjp said...

I love the Devil-Angel! It kind of suits my personality. Hehe.

Rebecca said...

Yep, I love the Lutheran services around the holidays...not just Christmas, but Easter and ...There is just so much symbolism.

My husband does all the shoveling too....but I fix him hot cocoa to drink when he gets in and I have an electric blanket plugged in all warm and toasty for him to sit under (I sit under it before he comes in so I can put my toasty warm hands on his cold cheeks, and ears.....Because I'm super sweet and nice.

BrianAlt said...

melissalion, you can be Jewish. That is, if you want. I mean, Jews don't prosthelytize, so I won't try to convince you or anything.

Or, you can just claim you are. No one will question you...probably.

BrianAlt said...

Oh, one of my favorite questions...

"Are you ready for the holidays?"

What the fuck does that mean?

I think I'll blog about that!

toywithme said...

What a beautiful idea your Grammie had. I love the tree she made for you.