Family

9:45 PM Edit This 7 Comments »
I'm going here on Sunday. I can't tell you what a relief it is to be getting away. My lake. My family. My second home. We have been going to this resort for 35 years. I remember when I was little, my brother and I would plan a minute by minute schedule of what we were going to do when we were there. In my teenage years, I was horrified by the whole spending time with my family thing. When I was in college, it was awesome to get away for a free vacation. When I was drinking? I hated it. Despised it. Loathed it. I had to stay sober for a week. And I was awful. Horrid. Mean. The last thing I wanted to do was spend time with my family.

The first year of sobriety, it was difficult, but okay. The last three years? Awesome. Amazing. Lovely. Heartfelt. And this year? It is exactly what I want to do. It is the respite that I need and want. It is my 95 year old grandma, my 2 year old nephew and all the people in between them that I want in my life. It is joy and hope and laughter and love.

I have had a really hard time this spring and summer. I will admit that, and my blog shows it. I am ready to be with the people I love for a week. Not that I don't love the people in my day to day life, but that's what vacation is about, right? Getting away. New perspectives. Freedom. I need it. I want it. And I think I will heal there. The lake heals me somehow. The familiarity of the location helps. The love I have for the lake helps. Hearing the loons as I go to bed helps. Rest. Rest really helps.
I

7 comments:

Shelley said...

I can feel the anticipation and relief in this post - I'm so sorry you've been having a rough go of it. Big hugs to you.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

That looks like a fantastic place to rest and recover from a hard year so far. I hope that you have a great time with your family!

Helen said...

So, so glad to hear you're getting away - and to a place that is full of happiness for you.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

We all need and deserve to re-energize. I hope your lake vacation is exactly what you hope it to be!

mel said...

Awesome!! Getting away can be like therapy :)

The photo looks idyllic. Enjoy... and we will be here when you get back.

Jen said...

It's great you get to spend a week there with family. Vacations with family can mend hearts and souls... it works for me every time!

carrster said...

Have an awesome time!! I will miss seeing you this year. We're camping til Tuesday & then I'm leaving again on Friday so I'm not sure I could make it work (although...if you're up for a trip to say...Aitkin on Thursday.....let me know). MWAH! Enjoy!!