I Think It's the Food

12:23 PM Edit This 9 Comments »
The mother of all Birthday Parties was had at my house on Friday night. Sobriety birthdays are a BIG DEAL to people in recovery. (Mine's December 28th, in case you were wondering...) Actually, a much bigger deal than your real birthday usually, but alcoholics will use any excuse to have a party, so here's what we celebrated last weekend. S, real birthday of 62, sobriety birthday of 27 years; M, 3 years of sobriety; G, 4 years of sobriety; N, 1 week. (She struggles and that's a BIG, BIG DEAL TO HER.) T; real birthday of who knows how many years; B, sobriety of 8 years; R, sobriety of 3 years; J, 9 months of sobriety. I think that's it. Why people stopped drinking in September, I do not know. Me? I waited until after Christmas and would have made it through New Years, but you know, I couldn't. I was going to kill myself on the 29th.

Anyhooters, we had tons and tons of food, (10 lbs of shredded beef sandwiches disappeared in an hour) a bonfire, I think I went through a whole pound of coffee and at one point, B was making animal noises to see if the neighbors could guess what he was doing. Someone went through my cupboards and found old firecrackers and sparklers. I'll have to find out who that was because I think they went through my underwear drawer as well...Dirty alcoholics. The kids were all in the house watching cartoons at one point, until some 18 year old decides he wants to watch the presidential debate. Okay, there's about 40 people at my house of various ages and it's the EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD that wants to watch the presidential debate? Maybe there is hope for future generations because certainly none of the rest of us cared.

Oh, and on Sunday, I spent the day up in Waubay, SD. End of the earth, middle of nowhere, on the way to somewhere no one wants to be. Why? Because Motorcycle Mark, one of my good, good dirty biker friends bought a fishing lodge up there and I went to help clean while the rest of them used power tools. They wouldn't let me use the power tools. Losers. It was a great day out in the fresh air and sunshine; lakeside with lots of burly men. Apparently I'm supposed to bring FOOD next time. They were hungry, and I went to the convenience store three times for more grub. Men and their food.

9 comments:

Ben said...

That's really cool. I hadn't heard of that sort of thing before! The party, I mean...not AA...I know what that is...

Nilsa S. said...

Those anniversaries are AMAZING. Seriously. I recently learned a family friend has been sober for 10 years. And I was so inspired by her strength and motivation to stay alive. Congrats to you and all your party-happy homies for finding the key to life!

[F]oxymoron said...

Congrats... and that 18 yr old... tell me he is an Obama supporter?

Sweetly Single said...

Those are the best types of parties! and I am sure the army of men loved having large amounts of food from a pretty gal! ;)

Matt said...

This post made me hungry for beef, thirsty for beer.

saratogajean said...

I feel like I could eat 10 lbs of beef sandwiches RIGHT NOW!

Oh man, that doesn't sound right, but it's 4:38 on a Monday and I'm hungry for anything but work.

Shania said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Is the 29th your Birth day or sobriety day?

E said...

I love this. What a clever bunch you all are. Wait til December you are gonna have a blast

carrster said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Certainly more fun than MOVING. Anyhooo - yes, next time bring the big burly men homemade food and they'll all be putty in your hands. :)