Go Forth! Slay! Conquer! or not.

8:30 AM Edit This 13 Comments »
Internet! It's sunny and it's going to be 76 degrees today! I checked on my strawberries last night. Sadly, there is no picture because by the time I get home anymore, it's after 8 and dark. But, the flashlight revealed that some critter dug up one of the plants. The dirty bastards. Three others don't seem like they're going to make it, but the additional 7 are thriving! People? We have a garden!

My brain is on happy spring weather overdrive, so bear with me here. I was filling out a profile on eharmony. (I know. Shoot me now, please? But I didn't post it. I'm not sure I'm going to - but whatever.) And it asked me for the four words that my friends would use to describe me. So I texted Cowgirl and asked her. I got back three. Tall, loud laugh, and sensitive. She didn't quite know what I was doing this little project for, so the first two aren't really personality descriptors, but I like the last one. It suits me perfectly. Because frankly? My sensitivity can go both ways on me. First of all, it sometimes makes me shy and hurt when other people would just say, "Go forth and conquer! Slay anyone who stands in your way!" And well, I'm just not like that. But it also makes me very aware of the people around me and how they are feeling. And I like that. It makes me caring and loving. And that's me, too! So, if you have any descriptors to add, I'd love to hear them.

And in that same vein, I was talking to my sister last night about going to the gym and she was all, "You have to lift weights!" And I was all, "I'm not ready yet! They still scare me!" And she was horrified by this. And it just goes to show how different we are and how much we really don't understand one another. It's okay. But it kind of made me sad. She was all, "That's stupid." And well, the people who know me understand that I AM fearful, but that I have the ability today to talk myself into doing the hard things that I used to never do because of that fear. I just have to give myself some time and then I do it! I mean seriously. I sat in the parking lot at the gym for three nights in a row before I worked up the courage to go in. And I don't see that as a thing to be ashamed of anymore. Because I CAN conquer the fear. It just takes me a little longer that normal people. And if you shame me for it, I will cut you. Well - not my sister, but it will certainly be a long time before I share personal information with her again. Because today, I protect myself from people who don't understand. And that? Is growth. So there.

13 comments:

carrster said...

I would say: vivacious, exuberant & lovely.

How are those for descriptors?

E said...

And brave. Do not forget brave dear heart

BrianAlt said...

You should be scared, cause you don't know what to do.

Ask someone that knows to help you. Or pay a trainer. But that involves paying, which you may not want to do.

BrianAlt said...

And...it's beautiful here too. Going up to 70ยบ and will be there through the weekend.

Anonymous said...

76 degrees?!?

I'm moving to Dakota. North or South. I don't care. Wherever it's 76 degrees.

Test said...

loyal, loving, literate (tee hee, couldn't resist - but they are all true you know)

and blah, blah to your sis. it can be a bit scary to start lifting. if you don't know what you are doing it's intimidating. and to be honest, not the safest thing to pick up on the fly.

when you are ready, contact a personal trainer or find a friend who you know lifts and is comfortable showing you the ropes. if you move here - i'll totally do it :)

buffalodick said...

It's called moods, and we all got 'em..

artemisia said...

Weights scare me too. Hell, I am still effing terrified of the treadmill.

The Good Cook said...

Intelligent, thoughtful, introspective, happy.

I'm with your other readers about the weight lifting. When you are ready, ask for help from someone at the gym.. pay for a session. Many gyms offer a free consult and they will take you to each machine and free weight station and show you how it works AND create a program for you to follow. The money will be well worth it. Operative words here - WHEN YOU ARE READY.

lacochran said...

Open, kind, charming, appreciative, fun...

Rebecca said...

creative, educated, insightful, thoughtful

Spilling Ink said...

Nothing wrong with being a it cautious and feeling your way. We can't all the type that rush in and just do.

I'm thinking that you are kind, compassionate, exuberant and creative.

Allie said...

Oh! I completely understand the fear of weights! I had to go to a personal trainer (who works out of his home, so only one person would see me flounder around with weights) before I got how to use them. I now REALLY enjoy lifting weights. But, wow, that was a step that felt much harder to me than it might seem like it should from someone who doesn't get fearful of things like that.