Winter Running

7:11 PM Edit This 10 Comments »
Well. The Wobble 'n Gobble Race is over. I ran my 5K on Saturday in a 4 degree wind chill. The weather totally ruined my racing outfit. I was rocking the Harley Girl Runner; my black and orange sparkly Harley sweatshirt with my black leggings and orange Running Girl skirt. I am from South Dakota after all. But when we got to the race area, it was apparent that I was NOT going to take my wool sweater off. Dang it. My race outfit was so cute! But warmth outwon cuteness. Hrmph. This is post-race by the way. Look at my awesome medal.I came in second to last. I had to walk several times. Since I pulled my achilles tendon, I haven't had the chance to really train and keep up, but I wanted to be there for my running club friends. I would have been totally dead last if not for the girl that walked the whole 5K. At one point, I was seriously feeling sorry for myself as I watched everyone run away from me, but this is not about competing with other people. It's not! I have to keep that in mind constantly. This is about managing The Crazy with something positive. Right? Of course, right.
And they were all there for me at the end. Because that's what good running friends do. No matter how cold they were, they weren't going to leave the finish line until I (and the last woman) got there. And that speaks volumes of character. And this is my prize. It was so cold, I seriously have windburn on my entire face. But this is the place on my chin where my wool sweater rubbed on my sweaty neck and well? It's a three inch scab. This picture doesn't even do it justice. I am not even going to try to cover it up, because I am pretty sure that would make it look even worse. No more running in wool. Fleece? Yes. And even though I went to Scheels to face humanity and shopping, none of the Under Armour fit me. Nike Dri Fit did. I'm seriously hoping that does the trick. This rash is disgusting.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Doesn't Vaseline help with windburn?

Meigan said...

Way to finish Kate! Another one under your belt - you are an inspiration!

Shelley said...

Hey - first or last, it's the same finish line. And you weren't last...woohoo! Even with the sweater on, you still look cute with the orange skirt peeking out - and I love how you layered it over the capris! Nice work getting out there in that COLD weather!

lacochran's evil twin said...

You are out there and you are doing it! WOOT!

And don't you look cute in your running gear!

Might definitely be time to invest in things that make you comfortable while you run.

The Good Cook said...

Good for you! And yes, keeping in mind that you are not competing against anyone but yourself will have you winning EVERY race.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Oh yikes I can't imagine running in a wool sweater- even if it is only 4 degrees out! Hopefully your scab heals quickly!

I wear Nike Dri Fit when I run and it's great. No rashes or scabs.

Congrats on finishing another race! :-)

Anonymous said...

A rash from wool! Hm. Wool is the perfect fiber -- so says the knitter. What about bamboo?

And hey -- YOU WERE RUNNING IN A SKIRT! That means you were cute no matter the sweater situation. Also, you are cute.

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

Way to go! I'm totally impressed by your commitment!

Unknown said...

I hate wool. Also, you are adorable in your little running duds.

Kim said...

Don't feel bad about walking, you were out there doing it! And you still look cute!

I like to use the Under Armour balclava hood (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55179_999047524_475000000_475003000?channel=froogle&mr:trackingCode=D7081814-DFAE-DF11-904F-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA) on my face in the winter :) I hope your windburn goes away soon! :(