On The Road, Again

8:47 PM Edit This 10 Comments »
I figured I owed you a post tonight to let you know I didn't fall in the hole. Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. It really does mean a lot to me that you come here and read and then take the time to respond. It is a comfort to me. A real and tangible comfort I am grateful for.

Our session went much like I anticipated. Lots of crying, a fair amount of heaving sobs accompanied by severe shaking, and some really challenging statements. When she stopped handing me kleenexes and tossed over the whole box, I knew I was in for it. I kept telling her that my feelings were just to "big." I didn't know how else to describe it because that's the truth. It's like I have all this emotion and I'm afraid if I start feeling it, I might not be able to stop? I used to feel that way about crying. I never wanted to cry because I thought it might never end. And if you've constantly cried for over a month (I kid you not, I would wake up crying in treatment. How does that even happen?) this is a real fear, yanno? So, she shows me how to let it out in manageable amounts. And frankly, I'm not even sure what emotion it is right now. Anger? Fear? I guess we will figure that out.

I don't even have to look at the clock to know that my 50 minute hour is almost up. She changes the subject and starts asking me what actions I can take in the next week to manage well and then I panic because I haven't said everything I need to say and she reminds me that next week is soon enough and to take what we've shared in this moment and leave the rest for later. That was a seriously long sentence. I'm not allowed to journal per se, so no writing about the specifics. I'm one of those people that sink into my writing and then the emotions get bigger and more unmanageable and then it's all in black and white and staring me in the face. So no real writing. But talking. It's almost like I'm watching the words come out of my mouth and shatter in the air. That's the kind of freedom saying things out loud gives me.

So. My mind is racing less and I no longer have that constant low grade panic I wasn't even aware I was flirting with the last month or so. It didn't subside until about 5 p.m., but its a relief to have it just come in spurts and moments now.

And I'm going back next week. Because that's what I need to do.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good work on getting help and just keep working on you. You deserve to be the best you you can be........Aaahh I suck at pep talking. ((hugs))

Can do mom said...

I haven't been blogging lately and so I haven't been reading others' posts. Sounds like you're digging deep into some challenging stuff. Hang in there sounds so mundane. I'm glad you've found a good person to work with and I'm even more glad that you're not running away from something that needs to be faced. Go back next week, and the week after that and the week after that.

You CAN do this, you ARE doing this!

I'm proud of you.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

I'm glad that you feel a bit better after your session.....

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I am thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

You will survive this minute. And the next minute. I'm saying this to myself right now.

Peder said...

Hang in there, Kate. We all love you!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I love the people who read your blog. Because they offer you such wise words. You're a lucky gal to have this support network.

All I can say is, I hope you don't consider this a set-back. From my comfy vantage point, I see where you are today as part of the road you were meant to take ... and it's very much moving forward. Hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself.

Bill said...

for a carbon based life form flung into a sea of existential quandry, you're rockin' pretty hard right now.

Like when Greg Brady won the surfing contest in Hawaii.

Keep going.

Shelley said...

Love "almost like I'm watching the words come out of my mouth and shatter in the air" - that says SO MUCH, my friend. Hugs, big hugs.

Lemon Gloria said...

Lovely Kate, you can do this and you are doing it. You struggled for a horrible period, and then you took action and you yourself are turning things around. Carolyn is helping you, but you are doing the work - and you're way ahead of where you were. I don't know anyone who has graduated from therapy and then just traipsed on their merry way. Nobody does. Life just doesn't work that way. Big huge hugs to you, my friend.

Sparkling Red said...

Hang in there, my dear! I admire your courage.